In a word, Yes!
We are warned to be careful and to be alert so as not to get taken in by the devil and his schemes.
Many people think that, just because something is spiritual, it is from God. I can tell you, that is not true. I’ll explain why in a moment.
But first I need to say something that might sound a tad harsh to some people, but I need those people to understand something.
If you think you can’t be deceived, you have already been deceived. I’m sorry to say it, but I believe it to be true.
I say this because there are so many miracles, signs, wonders etc out there in the Christian world that APPEAR to be from God but aren’t. People are trusting the wrong teachers/healers/preachers etc and are getting deeper and deeper into false doctrine and the signs and wonders movement/prosperity gospel etc.
(There are 62 mentions of “deceivableness, deceive and deceived” in my concordance. That’s not to mention all the other derivatives of that word.)
I will show you now with scriptures that, yes, it IS possible for Christians to be deceived.
You can see here that we are told to be aware of what the devil is trying to do to Christians.
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.” 1 Peter 5:8
Jesus has forewarned us to watch out for these false teachers and false Christs.
- “And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.” Matthew 24:4,5
- “And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.” Matthew 24:11
- “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.” Matthew 24:24
- “Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition.” 2 Thessalonians 2:3
- “Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.” Ephesians 5:6
If Christians could not be deceived, then why does Jesus need to warn us not to be deceived 3 times in the one chapter?
Not to mention all the other places in the bible.
We are warned also not to deceive ourselves also.
- “Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise.” 1 Corinthians 3:18
- “Thus saith the LORD; Deceive not yourselves, saying, The Chaldeans shall surely depart from us: for they shall not depart.” Jeremiah 37:9
- “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” 1 John 1:8
I hope you can see from these few scriptures that is is possible for us to be deceived. We need to use our discernment each and every day. If you are reading a book by a famous author, if you are watching a youtube clip by your favourite Pastor, if you are attending that healing conference by that world famous healer, you need to use your discernment. If you do not have a gift of discernment, pray for it each day. That’s what I do before I even leave my bedroom every morning. Just because someone is really popular and APPEARS to be doing the miracles of God, it doesn’t mean they are. There are many, many wolves out there that we need to be aware of and subsequently avoid like the plague. They will lead people away from true doctrine and that is not a good thing. Please, don’t be fooled by these wolves in sheep’s clothing and don’t be sucked into their false doctrines. The consequences are dire, as these following verses show.
- “Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.” 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12
*Just and added thought here. I do believe that a true born again believer will not stay deceived. If they are being led by the Holy Spirit of God, they will learn the truth eventually.