If you believe in heaven, and that you will go there when you die because you have been a good person all of your life, then you are mistaken. (Which by the way is akin to a works based salvation.* see below) If you believe that you can get to heaven through any other means aside from Jesus, you are mistaken.
So, you think you’re going to heaven when you die? Let us look at this from a logical and biblical perspective.
Heaven: the place where God lives. Jesus also happens to be there, at the right hand of God.
- “So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.” Mark 16:19
Who invented heaven? God did. So it makes sense that if God made heaven, you would have to know Him to get there doesn’t it?
- “In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
- “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.” Revelation 21:4
There, it says it in black and white that God made heaven. So it makes perfect, logical sense that in order to get there, you need to know the person who created it.
It’s not the same as going to McDonald’s or some other take away place either. Obviously you don’t have to know the creator/founder of McDonald’s to go there, because that is an earthly, man made place. Heaven is not. Heaven is in another realm, one that we can’t see, feel, taste, hear or touch.
I’ll address what I said earlier about people who think they are good will get into heaven, and people thinking they can get to heaven without knowing God.
This is what the bible says.
- “Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” Matthew 7:21
This verse means that even some people who believe they are Christians won’t even make it to heaven. It’s only the Christians that do the will of God. So if that means that even some professing Christians won’t make it to heaven, and they believe in Jesus, then how much harder would it be for people who don’t believe in Jesus to get there?! At the very least, you must believe that Jesus Christ was born to a virgin, lived a sinless life, was crucified and died then rose again and then ascended to heaven to be at the right hand of God.
- “And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.” Acts 16:30
Now to address the second part, about people thinking they will get to heaven by believing they will get to heaven no matter their beliefs. There is no other way, not through Buddha, not through Allah, not through Hinduism, not through any ‘new age’ spirituality or any other faith or religion.
- “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.” John 10:1
- “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” John 14:6
It doesn’t get any clearer than that. The only way to God is through Jesus, as he is our mediator. You can’t get to Him through Mary, or a priest, or a nun or anyone else, ONLY Jesus.
- For [there is] one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;” 1 Timothy 2:5
There is your biblical proof that you can only get to heaven through Jesus Christ. I hope this gets you thinking about your relationship with God, or lack thereof and I hope that this helps you want to seek Him, before it’s too late. Remember, if you truly seek Him with all your heart, you will find Him.
“And ye shall seek me, and find [me], when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13
Watch this youtube clip, go on, it’s only 1 minute out of your life. It explains how Jesus stands in the gap for us. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-c1E5j3xD0
If you feel you want to invite Christ in, just say this simple prayer and turn your life around. You won’t regret it when the time comes.
But please remember, becoming a Christian doesn’t automatically make your life perfect. There will still be trials and troubles, and there needs to be repentance, but having Jesus on your side will help you to get through them better. Being a Christian also gives you a hope for what is to come.
Heavenly Father, I know that I have sinned against you and that my sins separate me from you. I am truly sorry. I now want to turn away from my sinful past and turn to you for forgiveness. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your Son, Jesus Christ, died for my sins, that He was raised from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become my Saviour and the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You and to convict me when I sin. I pledge to grow in grace and knowledge of you. My greatest purpose in life is to follow your example and do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.
* “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9